- Mayor's Budget Transmittal Letter (pdf 81kb)
The Mayor’s Transmittal Letter is a synopsis of the City’s budget priorities and strategic initiatives that will be focused on for FY 2012 and FY 2013.
- Executive Summary (pdf 63kb)
The Executive Summary provides an overview of the key economic assumptions that are the basis for the budget, outlines the City’s key financial objectives, and reviews the citywide and General Fund resources and expenditures.
- Financial Policies (pdf 46kb)
- Citywide Organizational Chart (pdf 56kb)
The Citywide Organizational Chart is an overview of how departments are structured within the City.
- Budget Summary Reports ( 122kb)
The documents in this section contain financial summaries of the City’s budget. There are two different formats: Funds by Type or Category and by Service Group. The Funds by Type/Category reports summarize revenues and expenditures by major categories for each of the City’s funds. The Service Group reports summarize revenues and major expenditure categories for each of the service groups within each City department.
Financial Planning and Strategy
Capital Improvement Plan and Debt Strategy
- Capital Improvement Plan Report (pdf 194kb)
The Capital Improvement Plan Report explains the capital planning and budgeting process, and details the capital revenues and expenditures by fund and strategic planning focus area.
- Debt Strategy Report and Schedules (pdf 59kb)
The Debt Strategy report includes a summary of the City’s debt policy, capacity, and current debt ratios, along with the City’s debt strategy.
Budget Development and Adoption Process
- FY 2012/2013 Resource Allocation Guidelines and Instructions (pdf 88kb)
This document gives City departments information needed to build their revenue and expenditure budgets and outlines economic and demographic trends. The guidelines and assumptions are approved by City Council at the beginning of the budget development process.
- FY 2012/2013 Budget Development Process and Events Calendar (pdf 66kb)
- FY 2012/2013 Budget Development Public Education Presentation (pdf 83kb)
- FY 2012/2013 Budget Workshop Presentations (pdf 491kb)
The budget workshop presentations were given in June, at the end of the budgeting process, to the City Council. The workshop presentations provide details about services and programs included in the final budget.
- FY 2012/2013 Budget Workshop Documents (pdf 1284kb)
The Budget Workshop documents were presented to the City Council during the June budget workshop and provide detailed information to assist in the budget approval process.
- City Council Budget Workshop Motions (pdf 37kb)The City Council Budget Workshop Actions is the list of motions approved by City Council during the Budget Workshop and are reflective of the items mentioned in the Mayor’s Transmittal Letter.
- Public Hearing Notice (pdf 25kb)
By statute, citizens have an opportunity to comment on the budget before it is formally adopted. The statute requires the City to publish the Public Hearing Notice prior to the actual date of the public hearing. The Public Hearing Notice is a summary by department and fund of the City’s proposed expenditures and revenues.
- Public Hearing Presentation (pdf 608kb)
The Public Hearing Presentation provides a lot of useful information to the public. The presentation reviews the budget development process, highlights services and programs that are included in the budget proposal, and relates the highlights to the budgetary impact. The presentation also gives a high level overview of the property tax process, since it is such a large part of the General Fund budget and of significant interest to the public.
- Budget Ordinance (pdf 64kb)
The Budget Ordinance is the official adoption of the budget authorizing the City to appropriate for expenses and revenues and to levy property taxes. The City is required to pass an appropriation ordinance at the beginning of each fiscal year, which is October 1.
- About the Boise Community (pdf 48kb)
This document provides demographic and statistical information about Boise and the surrounding area. Services Boise Provides in a Typical Week is a statistical look at the services offered to citizens daily.
- City Financial System (pdf 49kb)
The City Financial System overview explains the City’s financial structure including the accounting basis, fund types and definitions.
- Idaho Code Sections Related to City Budgeting and Finances (pdf 69kb)
The Idaho Code supplies background information as it applies to the City’s budgeting process.
- Acronyms (pdf 20kb)
The Acronyms section provides definitions of the abbreviations of terms used in the budget documents.
- Glossary of Key Budget Terms (pdf 51kb)
The Glossary section provides definitions and abbreviations of terms used in the budget documents.