Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is your policy for paying vendors?

    The City generally pays vendors on a net 30-day policy.  Exceptions are made if different terms have been negotiated or if discounts are available.

  • How do I get a housing rehabilitation or sewer connection loan?

    Information on qualifying for these loans is available by contacting the administering departments.  The number for Housing Rehabilitation is 208-384-3810.  The Public Works Department oversees all sewer connection loans.  Its number is 208-384-3900.  It should be noted that the sewer connection loans are only available for those connecting to Boise City sewer and are not available for connection to the other sewer districts.

  • Where do I pay my property tax?

    The County Treasurer and Tax Collector collects all property taxes for cities, school districts and specialist districts within the county.  Their office is located in the Ada County Building at 200 West Front Street, Boise.

  • Why are there so many agencies listed on my property tax bill?

    Property tax is the primary source of funding for local government in Idaho. Taxpayers in Boise fund schools, the City, the County, Ada County Highway District, the Ada County Paramedics and a few small special districts. Taxpayers in the Boise school district pay about 45% of their bill to schools, 32% to Boise City, 17% to Ada County, and 6% to ACHD. Taxpayers in the Meridian School District pay about 39% to schools, 35% to the City, 19% to Ada County and 7% to ACHD. The percentages may vary if special districts serve your property, but the special districts comprise a very small percentage of the typical tax bill.

  • What is the 3% property tax cap?

    Governor Phil Batt and the Idaho Legislature approved a property tax limitation law that limits most local governments to no more than a 3% increase in base property taxes each year. A growth bonus formula is provided to provide some additional money to serve new construction and newly annexed areas.

    The 3% property tax cap is calculated based on the local government's total receipts from taxes in the prior year. That means that local governments will receive no more than 3% more total property taxes than in the prior year. If more than 3% property values (in new homes, commercial and other property) is added in a given year, tax bills for most taxpayers will actually decrease. However, taxpayers whose properties have been re-appraised by the County at more than 3 % will find their taxes increasing. In balance, the 3% tax cap seems to be constraining the growth of property taxes in Boise.

  • Why doesn't the City construct a park in my neighborhood?

    Many neighborhoods have adjacent City parks. However, the City has purchased a number of future park sites to obtain the property before it is developed. The tight City budget that has resulted from the 3% property tax cap has resulted in much less new capital construction than in past years, and it will be years before some of the future park sites are funded for construction.

  • What is the City's relationship with Cable One?

    Boise City has issued a franchise agreement to Cable One to allow them to provide cable television services. Cable One is a private company and all questions related to billing, services and facilities should be addressed to Cable One (call 375-8288). However, as the franchising authority, the City is interested in any comments about Cable One's operations that may relate to their responsibilities under the franchise agreement.

  • Where can I get answers to questions about property taxes?

    If the question relates to the assessed market value of a property, the County Assessors Office can help.  If the question relates to the tax rate levied against your house and how it relates to the assessed market valuation, the County Clerk-Auditors office can help.  The County Treasurer will respond to questions about your tax bill.  If you want to dispute the amount assessed against your property, the County Commissioners, sitting as the Board of Equalization, is the proper venue.

    Many questions relating to Idaho tax laws and their application can be answered by the State Tax Commission.

    If you want to know how the taxes received by the City of Boise are spent, the City Budget Office in the Department of Finance and Administration is the place to start.  Its telephone number is 208-972-8170.

  • How can I participate in the City's budget process?

    Taxpayers and others interested in commenting on the City's priorities for services and capital facilities can participate in the budget process in a number of ways:

    • You may contact the City department that provides the service and give them your comments; departments take customer comments into consideration as they prepare their budgets.
    • You may contact the City's budget office at 972-8170 and receive copies of budget documents and provide your comments.
    • You are invited to participate in public input sessions at Council meetings to communicate your thoughts and priorities to the City Council and the Mayor.
    • You may testify at the annual budget hearing prior to final adoption of the City budget.

    The annual budget calendar detailing dates for participation is published on the City's web page.

  • How do I get approved to sell investment securities to the City?

    The City buys securities competitively from qualified vendors. The City, by law, is required to invest primarily in Government Securities and Money Market Instruments.

    Brokers, dealers and others wishing to sell investment securities to the City may begin by contacting the Investment Officer by phone at (208) 972-8174 or by mail at Boise City Treasury, P.O. Box 500, Boise, Idaho 83701-0500.

    Interested parties will be sent an application packet, The packet includes, among other items:

    • a cover letter explaining the application process and itemizing the information that the firm will be required to provide;
    • a questionnaire, regarding the firm, the type of securities it sells, who will be their representative, etc.;
    • a copy of the laws governing the City's investments; and
    • a copy of the City's investment policy.

    Upon receipt of the necessary information, the City will contact the Securities Division of State Department of Finance to obtain a CRD report on both the firm and its proposed representative(s) from the NASD. Among the criteria assessed by the Treasury are the financial capacity of the firm; the types of investment securities offered; management of the firm; complaints, legal or regulatory sanctions and penalties levied against the firm, its principals or its representatives.