Downtown On-Street Parking
The City of Boise offers short term on-street parking options throughout Downtown Boise (Click Here for a downtown parking map).
Proposed Parking Changes
This December, the Boise City Council will consider changes to its downtown parking regulations to increase the availability of on-street parking for short-term visits and to encourage use of garages and perimeter parking for longer stays. Usage data shows that the highest utilization of Zones 1 and 2 are on weeknights (after 5 p.m.) and on Saturdays. The proposed changes include:
- Increased Enforcement Hours for Metered Parking:
- Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. in Zones 1 and 2 Only
- New Metered Parking Rates:
- Premium/Zone 1: $2.00 for the first hour (currently $1.50); $3.00 for the second hour (currently $2.50) - 2 hours max
- Standard/Zone 2: $1.25 for the first hour (currently $1.00); $2.00 for the second hour (currently $1.25) - 2 hours max
- Value/Zone 3 (no change): $0.50 for the first and second hour; $1.00 for the third and fourth hour - 4 hours max (3rd and 4th hour available through Parkmobile only)
- Parking Fines
Tickets for expired meters, time zoned areas and accessible spot violations would increase as follows:
- Expired Meter Violation: $20.00 (currently $15.00)
- Time Zone Violation: $25.00 (currently $18.00)
- Accessible Violation: $150.00 (currently $100.00)
Additionally, a late fee of $15.00 would be added every six months that a fine goes unpaid.
- Free Parking Still Available
- Free 1st 20 minutes at all meters
- Free 1st 60 minutes in garages
Effective Date: If approved, the new rates and enforcement hours will go into effect Feb. 1, 2018.
Current Parking Information
PAYMENT OPTIONS: Downtown parking meters accept credit / debit card payment, Downtown Boise gift cards, payment through Parkmobile, and traditional coin payments. Re-feeding meters past the posted time limit is prohibited by law.
PARKING RATES are identified by three zones:
- Premium: $1.50 for the first hour, $2.50 for the 2nd hour (2 hours max)
- Standard: $1.00 for the first hour, $1.25 for the 2nd hour (2 hours max)
- Value: $0.50 for the 1st and 2nd hour, $1.00 for the 3rd and 4th hours (4 hours max - 3rd and 4th hour available through Parkmobile only)
*Parking rates may change. Please see digital meter display for most up to date pricing.
Free 20 Minutes
- Boise is the only city in the country that offers 20 minutes free per parking session on all metered parking spaces. To activate your free 20 minutes, simply press the button on the meter.
- Additional time can be added after the free 20 minute button has been pressed (up to the maximum time posted for that meter).
Parking enforcement hours are from 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Parking is free after 6:00 p.m. and all day on weekends. Parking is free on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- President’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Labor Day
- Veteran’s Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Prepayment for Parking
The digital parking meters allow you to pre-pay for time during non-enforcement hours without wasting your money. If you arrive prior to 8:00 a.m., you can pay for parking and the meter will not start calculating your time until 8:00 a.m. This means if you had a bit too much fun and need to leave your vehicle downtown overnight, you can pre-pay for time and your meter won’t start running until 8:00 a.m. the following morning. This gives you time to return downtown the next morning and safely retrieve your vehicle.